You more than likely have all of these easy ingredients in your cupboard, as well as your freezer. Filled with vegetables as well as hearty meat, stuffed peppers are a cheap and easy way to make a delicious meal for lunch or dinner.
- 2/3 cup long-grain white rice
- 6 bell peppers
- 1 Tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 lbs ground venison
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
- 1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3 Tbsps fresh parsley, minced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook rice according to package instructions (you can also use leftover rice if you have any.)
- Meanwhile, trim about 1/4-inch from tops of bell peppers and then remove stems, ribs, and seeds. Fill a baking dish just large enough to fit peppers with about 1/2-inch of water.
- Place peppers upside down in the water, cover tightly with foil, and bake 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add diced onion and garlic, and saute 3 minutes. Move onions to one far side of the skillet.
- Add venison, making sure to break up the chunks, season with salt and pepper, then begin to sear the meat, about 2-3 minutes.
- Toss with onions and continue to cook until meat is cooked through with no more pink, about 3 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and drain off excess fat.
- Stir in canned tomatoes, 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce, cooked rice, parsley, and Italian seasoning, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- After removing the peppers from the oven, reduce the temperature to 350. Turn par-baked peppers upright with tongs and fill with meat mixture.
- Pour remaining tomato sauce over peppers. Cover with foil and continue to bake 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with cheese (you also can replace 1/4 cup with parmesan), return to oven, and bake until peppers have reached desired tenderness, about 10-20 minutes (thinner peppers will be done quicker, but thicker ones will need more time).
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm.